These properties consist of 1,109 acres in 4 tracts located in Sussex County, Delaware. The property was purchased in cooperation with The Conservation Fund and the State of Delaware, and a Conservation Easement on the property is held by the State of Delaware as a result of that transaction. Conservation Easement, while aiming to keep these lands in sustainable forest production, also imposes some requirements on forest management, including:
-Maintaining consistency with the State’s current Best Management Practices; and,
-Carrying out forestry activities in conformance with a Sustainable Forest Management Plan
|Previous Owner||Glatfelter Inc.|
|Dominant Forest Type||80% Loblolly Pine 20% Lowland Hardwood|
|Managing Consultant||Vision Forestry, LLC|
|Address||310 Tilghman Road, PO Box 2677 Salisbury, MD – 21802|
Three of the parcels are located within 4 miles east or west of Georgetown, Delaware along Rt. 404. The Marshyhope tract can be found in the northwest corner of Sussex County approximately 4 miles northwest of Greenwood, Delaware.
The Delaware Forests were formerly owned and managed by the Glatfelter Pulpwood Corporation, and were used to produce pulpwood for their chip mill facilities in Delmar, DE, and the paper plant in Spring Grove, PA. The company started buying forestland on the Eastern Shore in about 1957, and the lands in question were purchased between 1966 and 1969. The forestlands purchased had a long history of private ownership, and often had been agricultural fields at some point in the past. The company decided to sell its land holdings in 2002, as part of a planned restructuring, resulting in the purchase by HFF IV.
The forests on the HFF IV property consist primarily (1147 acres) of loblolly pine plantations less than 15 years of age. The remaining acreage consists of age 125 acres of pine plantations aged 16- 40, 13 acres of plantations greater than 40 years, and 56 acres of mixed hardwood. The remaining acres are listed as ditches, pits, and other non-forest cover.