The subject property consists of approximately 469 acres of timberland located within the east Texas counties of Hardin and Newton. The property consists of upland sites, occasional transition zones between uplands and stream bottoms, SMZ’s, and on one part of the ownership, a cypress pond. There are four compartments– each a contiguous block that ranges in size from 100 acres up to 810 acres. Only 1% of the Martindale property is non-forested (approximately 10 acres).
|Coordinates||N 30° 18′ 5″ W 94° 12′ 2″
|Previous Owner||Martindale Land & Cattle Co.|
|Dominant Forest Type||Loblolly pine plantation|
|Managing Consultant||Champion Forest Resource Mgt., Inc.|
|Address||1314 10th Street, Suite 250 P. O. Box 1478 Huntsville, TX – 77320|
All compartments are located within the east Texas counties of Hardin and Newton. The Grigsby and Lewis compartments lie south and west of Kountze, Texas. The Grigsby compartment is divided by Hwy 326 and the Lewis compartment lies east of FM 943 & south of Post Oak Rd. The Joiner, Smith and Hunsucker compartments lie east of Hartburg, Texas – east of Hwy 87 and south of Hwy 12.
The compartments were in the ownership of Martindale Land and Cattle Co. Ltd. between 15 to 26 years. They had been managed for timber production, with some compartments leased for hunting. Prior to Martindale ownership most of the compartments were owned by Wiergate Lumber Company, and one was held by a private individual.
The overall forest conditions on the Martindale property can be described as typical for the region. The property consists primarily of young merchantable pine plantations (21 to 29 years of age) covering 1,354 acres. The remainder of the forested area is comprised of natural mixed pine-hardwood and pure hardwood. These types combined cover 272 acres. The overall quality of the timber can be described as average.