Select Property:

Hurricane Creek

Hurricane Creek Property Map

The Hurricane Creek property was purchased in September 2011 from Red Hot Plantation, LLC. The property has been in commercial timber production for many years as International Paper held ownership prior to Red Hot Plantation. The Forestland Group purchased surface and timber rights only in the 2011 sale and mineral rights are currently owned by PureResources. Hunting rights are leased to private hunt clubs and the property currently maintains 21 hunting leases. The property is primarily composed of bottomland hardwood forest adjacent to the Saline River and Hurricane Creek, a tributary of the Saline R. Loblolly pine plantation makes up about 15% of the forested acreage.

Property Details

Property Name Hurricane Creek
State AR
County Cleveland, Grant, Dallas
Total Acres 20,106.00
Coordinates N 34°06’44” W 92°23’25”
Acquisition Date 2011-09-23
Previous Owner Red Hot Plantation, LLC
Dominant Forest Type Bottomland hardwoods
Managing Consultant Larson & McGowin, Inc
Address 214 North Washington, Suite 309  El Dorado, AR – 71730
Phone (870)-875-1663

Location

The Hurricane Creek Property is located along the Saline River and a tributary, Hurricane Creek in south-central Arkansas. The property has its largest footprint in Grant County, but spreads into Cleveland County and Dallas County as well. US Hwy 167 serves as a portion of the western boundary of the property and State Hwy 35 serves as a portion of the boundary on the north and east. The nearest towns are Sheridan, 6 miles to the north, and Pine Bluff, 15 miles to the east. The nearest interstate highway is I-530, 15 miles east of the property.

This property lies near several other Heartwood Forestry Fund Properties including the Fordyce, Sheridan, Derriseaux Creek, and Bailey Properties.

Ownership

Hurricane Creek Property was purchased from Red Hot Plantation, LLC who managed the property for several years as commercial timberland. International Paper owned the property prior to Red Hot Plantation and managed it in much the same way using conventional pine and hardwood timber management practices. Overall, management intensity has declined since International Paper sold the property several years ago.

Mineral rights were retained in the 2005 sale from International Paper to Red Hot Plantation and are now owned by PureResources.

Timber Resource

The timber mix on Hurricane Creek leans heavily towards hardwoods as they make up 86% of total volume, with pine volume contributing the balance. Concurrently, hardwoods make up 76% of the sawtimber volume and 96% of pulpwood volume. The property has significant ingrowth potential with approximately 1,300 acres of pre-merchantable pine plantations and 2,900 acres of pre-merchantable hardwood stands. In addition to these pre-merchantable stands, the property contains approximately 5,100 acres of pole-sized hardwood stands which have potential to move into the sawtimber size class in the next 10 years.

Bottomland hardwoods make up 85% of the forest’s composition. Primary species include sweetgum, red and white oaks, and miscellaneous soft hardwoods. Loblolly pine plantation makes up the remaining 15% of the acreage, mostly in plantations but with some naturally regenerating stands as well.

Property Documents